Pages

Monday, February 24, 2014

Freezing Life

I caught the end of Life of Pi, on television this weekend, and if you've watched it, you'll know that 'adult' Pi says: "I suppose in the end, the whole of life becomes an act of letting go, but what always hurts the most is not taking a moment to say goodbye"

Those words stayed with me, this whole weekend.

My life, has been pretty spectacular the past few months. I got engaged, we've been overwhelmed with calls, questions, love and support in these past months. My business has grown enormously, we've moved into a new home, and we've spent countless hours lovingly painting, hammering and doing all sorts of DIY's in and around the apartment.

I've been fortunate to attend some of the grandest and at the same time the most humbling wedding's I've ever seen. Photography has exposed me to a world of the grandest aesthetic and I'm fortunate to see people committing their lives to each other. I've seen men weep at the alter, at the sight of their bride. I've seen men serenading their brides with songs on guitars they've only just learnt to play.

My life is good, my life is pretty spectacular.

Sometimes, I want to pinch myself - say, "hey wake up - this can't be real". But it is - and man, I'm fortunate. Some sort of divine favour I believe.

Why is the Life of Pi quote relevant - well, what he says is so very true. Our whole lives are an act of letting go, and even though my life is wonderful at the moment, I fear that I haven't said goodbye to times when things weren't so great. Times that keep you grounded, and filled with humility. There are various elements, people and circumstances, that happen throughout life, that make us the individuals that we are. Life is a continuous act of letting go.

I think of the times Etienne and I would really fight, and not get on at all. The times I used to live with my mom. That's all gone now. We move on so quickly.

I suppose all I'm trying to say, is that live is precious. Love it, live it - take time to breath. Take time to smell the air after a thunderstorm, remember how the grass felt under your feet when you were on holiday. Remember - spend time to take it all in. Live.

Be a human. Take your time. Remember - live.

No comments:

Post a Comment