Pages

Monday, April 29, 2013

Langebaan Lovin'


Etienne, my dear boyfriend will one day save the 'world as we know it' with all the wind turbines he's helping to setup and build, along with his employer on the West Coast. While he does that, I get to enjoy everything Langebaan has to offer on the weekends.

When I get into my car on a Friday afternoon and take on the 1hr drive to Langebaan, I really get excited  - excited to 1) see him 2) relax and 3) be by the sea. In that order.

On route, I always look forward to the cold mist rolling over the hills and it sticking to my skin like it never left from the previous weekend. That combined with a playlist of awesome songs and the smell of the ocean after a long and tedious work week, make my trip to Langebaan somewhat of a emotional experience.

Langebaan has been good to us both.

Etienne has taken up water sports - something he's always wanted to do, but were always restricted by the hustle and bustle of Cape Town. He now gets to go on the water to surf or stand up paddle as often as he can - which is pretty often and pretty awesome if you ask me.

He's also a keen red wine drinker these days - which I find as cool as I do attractive.

For me: 

In Langebaan I have found some salvage to what life is, amongst the buildings of chaos that surround me in Cape Town. 

While Etienne does his thing in the water, and I walk along the shore looking down onto my feet as they make their way through the soft sand, I realise how amazing the small things in life are, and how blessed we are to have it. 

Life is filled with heartbreak, confusion and sadness. We don't always understand why things happen, and we don't always understand the purpose of it, but that's life. It happens. It makes us sad, it makes us wonder, and makes us question so many things.

BUT Langebaan has taught me that something as simple as watching the sun rise over the ocean or watching how the water in the lagoon reflects like a mirror in full moon can calm my wild heart.

I'm writing this to myself - don't ever forget what true happiness and beauty is. Life is a beautiful thing - make it your own and live it.




2 comments: