Pages

Thursday, October 25, 2012

a busy weekend



This weekend was big, pretty big. Here's why:
  1. A party with Colleagues
  2. A baby shower
  3. His 30th
Work functions: I think most people go to work, for simply, well, work. We make acquaintances and even great friends from within the colleague pool. One thing stays the same though, we don't want to see then after 5pm. You want to go home to your significant other, friends and dearest family. 

After a long day, you don't want to spend what's left of the evening with people you see the whole  day, people you're forced to spend every working day with.

HOWEVER, when I do attend a function with colleagues, I end up having a absolutely marvelous time. Always. 
I can attribute this to a combination of free drinks, good music and awesome individuals. 

My Friday night eventually ended at 2am with 4 cokes, because we couldn't swipe our cards for less than 40 bucks. Very good.

A baby shower: I had a very abrupt awakening on Saturday morning. Even though it was a gentle kiss on the forehead, it felt like a punch in the stomach. Gulping my first breath and grabbing my watch was one action. 10am. I was late. Shit.

I had taken it upon myself to organise the baby shower of a very good friend. They're expecting their first baby boy in the next 5 weeks. 

I jumped out of bed, through the shower, threw on my jeans, put my hair in a bun and didn't even do a full make up routine, tinted moisturiser had to do the trick.
Then viciously raced drived to the Food Lovers Market around the corner from us.
Flowers - check
Nuts - check
Lemons - check

Cheers.

Next stop was Our Place, the venue. Now 10:40, I still had to do flowers, prepare all gifts - all this before 11am when guests arrive.

Either it was my shaky demeanor, or my sense or urgency that had 3 guys attend to me when I got to our reserved table. Total chaos.
I had one guy cutting stems, another cutting ribbon and another cutting lemons. 

I heard a casual, Hi Lindie, and knew it was my first guest. I was late. Shit.

I put my guilt hangover aside and asked her for some additional help. Together we filled jam jars with nuts, sealed it with a doilie and ribbon.
By now my troops had everything done - Awesome! 
Ladine and I sat down, breathed a sigh of relief and with that, our other friends arrived. The table looked good, I was happy, in spite of how my chest felt like it was about to explode.





Once the party was in full swing, I found myself in between a new mom, and a expecting wife. Quite daunting when you're hanging like it's no one's business.

I realised the conversation wasn't going to change to this season's must have items, so I joined in on the conversation and found everything the girls had to say quite enjoyable. Also, I was pretty proud of myself for putting together a great morning with great friends. 

The 'grown-up' talk made my hangover seem insignificant to the glory that is the birth of a child and the experience of a first time mother. 

I felt fine. The afternoon carried on with many bottles of wine, a late lunch.
From there, it was straight to another party. 

I met Etienne there, yay! I had missed him, I haven't seen him the whole weekend. I wasn't late this time. 

We spent the night with friends and later, much later, enjoyed the pleasures of a 'potjie'.

His 30th: Sunday is here! It's his birthday!!!
We spent the morning with family at Bon Amis, a fairly new bistro/deli on the Bloemendal grounds in Durbanville.
A great venue for kids, while the adults talked birthday wishes.

The rest of the day was spent on the golf course and the beach. Luckily the weather allowed for a great day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment