Pages

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Die Burger MTB Experience

I've never been one for exercise. In fact, climbing the stairs at work isn't even on my daily to-do list.
I prefer the 'crash diet when needed option', but when you work for the country's biggest sporting retailer, you get cought up in tea time conversations about trail runs, mountain bike races and marathons.

Most of my colleagues are all either professional or recreational athletes. We've got the ladies top SA trail runner who works in our apparel department, a 2nd placed FINA world champion swimmer and a SA hockey player all working in various departments.
As you can imagine, it becomes difficult not to get self conscious about ones lack of exercise/recreational sport - and even though its perhaps not my thing, I can't say that for certain as I've never done anything like this.

So, in light of all of this, I decided to enter my first mountain bike race - Die Burger Mountain Bike Challenge. I even managed to convince Etienne to take part with me. We both entered the 30km option, thinking we would be strong enough to do this, but after consulting with some cycling friends like @herrielloyd we decided we might be getting ourselves into some difficulty by starting off with such a technical route. 

We've now opted for the 15km and our race is tomorrow. Etienne and I are both very excited - nervous, but excited, which might also stem from the Super 15 semi-final looming tomorrow afternoon.

I'll write again post event, but until then, its padded spandex for 15km. Keep us in your thoughts.

image found here


No comments:

Post a Comment